The Rudge cup (4.33 x 2.76 in)
This product is no longer in stock
Lost-wax bronze reproduction of the Rudge Cup (© Brittish Museum), found in 1725 inside a well at a Roman villa near Froxfield (Wiltshire, England). 2nd century AD. Part of the private collection of the Duke of Northumberland.
The Rudge Cup serves as a geographical document of Hadrian's Wall in the 2nd century, as it displays the names of five fortresses from the western section of the famous wall, allowing researchers to identify these sites. The piece (a hemispherical enamelled bowl with a flat base) is adorned with a continuous defensive structure (a schematic representation of Hadrian's Wall), within which the five fort names are inserted. The names (BM) appear in a continuous line below the rim: MAIS (Bowness-on-Solway), ABALLAVA (Burgh-by-Sands), VXELODUM (Stanwix), CAMBOGLANS (Castlesteads), and BANNA (Birdoswald).
Although it appears to have been part of a set of ornamental souvenir bowls, the fact that there is no sign of a similar vessel covering the central and eastern sectors of the Wall suggests otherwise.